An AR-15 is a semi-automatic firearm that is built and designed on the ArmaLite style. This weapon was developed in the 1950s by a manufacturing company called ArmaLite. However, the design for this firearm was later sold to another company known as Colt.
The U.S military has been using the AR-15 as one of their primary weapons for decades. Huge Dominating popularity for this gun has existed in the American civilian market for many years. As a result, many people refer to it as the “American Rifle.”
The AR-15 has gained popularity, and it’s a hot topic within the American Firearm community. Many people mistake the AR-15 as an “Assault Rifle” while it does not meet Federal requirements to fall under this category. However, the name AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle.
Why Is The AR-15 So Popular?
The Popularity of AR-15 guns results from increased attention by the media and politics based on the opinion of banning and imposing restrictions on AR-style rifles.
Here are other reasons that support the popularity of the AR-15 guns. They are as follows:
- It is relatively easy to build an AR-15 from scratch. Building an AR-15 is a legal process as long as you follow the guideline provided by federal authorities and states.
- AR-15’s are easily customizable. Also, many parts and accessories are easily accessible.
- The AR-15 has served as the primary gun for U.S military and law enforcement agencies for a long time.
- AR-15s are available in different styles and variants in the markets hence meeting the needs of a significant number of customers.
- They are highly used for gun competitions. The National Shooting Sports Foundation refers to AR-15 as the “Modern Sporting Rifle” due to its outstanding characteristics such as low recoil, lightweight, ease of use, and versatility.
- It’s a safe, reliable, and easy to maintain firearm even for beginners. It does not apply a sophisticated mechanism; hence there is a minimal hassle while handling this gun.
- Its parts and accessories are readily available in the nearest gun store and online platforms.
Benefits Of Owning An AR-15
The fact that the AR-15 is very popular and common, it’s because of its benefits. Here are the advantages of owning one for gun competitions, hunting, or self-defense.
AR-15’s have a high accuracy level – An AR-15 has different contact points for a shooter; hence that improves your stability. Moreover, it easily accommodates other accessories such as optics, laser, lights, and muzzle devices that are significant in enhancing the accuracy of this weapon. You can hardly miss a target even at a more extended range while using an AR-15.
Ease of use – Even when you have little skills in shooting rifles, the AR-15 will not frustrate you. It has a simple design and comes along with enhanced features to help a shooter of any level. You can also maneuver very easily while using this gun. It’s even used to train young military officers.
Affordable and cheap to maintain – AR-15s are reasonably priced in most gun stores hence making them affordable. Also, you can even build your own at a lower cost compared to what you would have spent purchasing a complete one. You never have to worry about the cost of maintaining this weapon. Its parts are readily easily accessible and available in the market and not highly-priced.
Little Recoil – AR-15s produces little recoil; thus, they are easy on your shoulder compared to shotguns or even pistols. Also, the recoil is easy to control at any time, even during rapid firing. Little recoil is significant in enhancing accuracy and handling a gun.
AR-15’s are customizable – You can easily customize your AR-15s to your preference anytime. It will accommodate most of your preferences on it to enhance its uniqueness, functionality, and performance.
High capacity of ammunition – Unlike shotguns and pistols that only accommodate a few rounds, a standard AR-15 Guns can hold 30 rounds. Some larger magazine capacity holds over 60 rounds.
The AR-15 rifle is a semi-automatic rifle developed in the 1950s to replace the M1 Garand for the U.S military in the Vietnam War. Over time it has evolved into different versions and dominated the American gun market. It has also gained a lot of popularity due to its reliability, accuracy, adaptability, and customization.
Many of the mass shootings in America have been carried out using the AR-15 rifle, which has raised concern. As a result, a certain group of politicians has been pushing for a ban on this riffle. The key difference between an AR-15 rifle and a pistol is that the rifle has a buttstock and longer barrel measuring more than 16 inches.
Here are examples of images of AR-15 rifles.
Black Rain Ordnance SPEC 15, Semi-automatic, 223 Rem/556 NATO, 16” Barrel, Black and White Battleworn Finish, Magpul MOE Furniture
IWI US, Zion Z-15, Semi-automatic, AR, 223, 16” Barrel, Black Finish, BCM pistol grip, and B5 stock
Mossberg 715T, .22LR Rifle
Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport .223/5.56
Call Us In Case Of Any Upgrades!
The law defines the AR-15 pistol as an AR-15 that has a barrel shorter than 16 inches, does not have a stock, and the overall length is around 26 inches. They are known to have a compact size that makes them comfortable while handling. AR-15 pistols are an option for someone who wants to own something similar to a short-barreled rifle (SBR) as long as you do not fix a stock. However, braces are legal on AR-style pistol.
AR-15 pistols do not accommodate vertical grips, but you can easily install an angled grip for support of your secondary hand. Finally, just like other AR-style guns, it’s also legal to build an AR-15 pistol as long as you do it within what the laws and regulations recommend.
Here are images of AR-15 Pistols.
Springfield Armory Saint AR-15 Pistol, 5.56mm NATO, 9.6” Barrel, Black Finish
Sig Saur, MCX Virtus AR-15 Pistol, 5.56 mm NATO, 11.5” Barrel, Gray Finish
BCM Recce 11KMR-A Pistol, 5.56mm NATO, 11.5” Barrel, Black Finish.
Call Us In Case Of Any Upgrades!
AR-15 Parts and Accessories
Any standard AR-15 can be divided into two major components, i.e., upper receiver assembly and lower receiver assembly. The following are essential parts and accessories of an AR-15 Guns.
How to Build an AR-15
Building an AR-15 is not a complicated process. However, you need to understand the legal perspective. Ensure you are enlightened on what both federal laws and state regulations address on building firearms.
Here is a simple procedure to follow while building your AR-15 Guns:
- Buy all necessary parts and accessories of an AR-15, as highlighted in the above section. You can shop online or physically visit a gun store or, best of all, find an online gun customization website!
- Ensure you have all the necessary tools needed to carry out the work and enough work area. Make sure you have a guide that will help you undertake the process step by step. It would be better if the guide had images of the parts and accessories of an AR-15. A video tutorial would be very useful for this task.
- Arrange your parts and accessories in the working area. If you are working with individual parts, group them into the main components, including the lower receiver assembly, upper receiver assembly, and accessories.
- Fix the Forward Assist to the Upper Receiver. Then set up the Ejection Port Cover Assembly on the Upper Receiver as well. Assemble the Bolt Carrier Assembly. Set up the Charging Handle Assembly. Join both the Bolt Carrier Assembly and the Charging Handle Assembly into the Upper Receiver
- Then fix the Upper Receiver into Action Block and ensure it is tightened up. However, do not overtighten.. Now, you may place the barrel for you to fix the Outer Receiver Nut and Inner Barrel Retainer Nut on the Barrel Threads. Install the Gas Block and Gas Tube
- Place your handguard/rail that will accommodate your preferred accessories. Mount your scopes, laser lights, slings, and any other necessary accessory needed. Load your magazine with the right ammo matching your barrel size and then go for a test in the range.
The above information should not be perceived as legal advice in any manner. Seek legal advice from a competent firearm attorney. Also, we are not responsible for any injuries that might occur while you build your AR-15 Guns. Ensure you carry out the procedure carefully and safely. It is the buyer’s responsibility to ensure parts and accessories of a gun they purchase are of standard.